Pages

Monday, March 16, 2009

bike woes part 26

people like to talk about supposed mothers who can summon the brute strength to lift cars off of their trapped babies. 

today, i carried my bike 1.7 kilometers. 

after class today, i went to unlock my bike and my key actually snapped off in my lock. 

wtf. 

the back wheel was locked, so i had to pick up the back of the bike and wheel the bike to the nearest bus stop. apparently bikes aren't allowed on the bus. the bus driver closed the bus doors in my face. 

it was a long trek home. i alternated lifting the back of the bike with dragging the bike (but feared wearing down the back tire) with straight up carrying my entire bike by the frame. i stopped about every 10 feet to gasp for air and shake the knots out of my twisted right bicep. i'm very weak. 

it was very awkward looking like a really bad bike thief. 
people stared but didn't say anything. one man inquired if i had a spare key and i explained to him that my key was broken in the lock and that i was trying to get to the bike shop. he wished me luck. 

i struggled to the shop of the really-nice-bike-shop-man. he greeted me warmly and probably silently wondered how i'd fucked up this time. 

he looked at my bike and exclaimed, "You're still riding that?!" 

he couldn't stop laughing. 

i told him i have no other alternative! 

he cut the lock for me and chuckled the entire time. 

i asked him how much and he said ehhhh 20 kroner. 

20.00 DKK

=

3.48764 USD

Denmark Kroner United States Dollars
1 DKK = 0.174382 USD 1 USD = 5.73453 DKK

we chatted a bit - i don't think he understood everything i was saying because sometimes he would just nod and smile. he also sold me a 79 kroner lock for 70. 

i like him a lot. i'm glad we're friends. 

No comments: