Pages

Friday, June 20, 2014

long journey home

I had a long but productive and fun ten-hour day of work, starting with picking up thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment in the West Village in the rain and then scurrying around like a mouse for the rest of the day, hauling cables and sand bags and lights, learning how to use the strange proprietary software, and making a lot of bizarro strange slow-motion videos of myself. Around 12:45am we finally called it a day and headed home. Unfortunately, along the way the train hit two emergency stops and ended up shutting down completely two stops from home. The air shut off and it became very hot as we were parked in a tunnel for about twenty minutes. One thing about New Yorkers is that they become very vocal when they feel they've been slighted. The girl to my left, who'd already been insufferable and entitled even before the train stopped, said the operators should go fuck themselves. A man who had had a seat the entire way woke from his sleep to rant and ramble. I could sense the crowd becoming panicky, and I felt glad that I've made earplugs a habit in my public transportation experience. I sat down on the floor and a guy offered me one of his printed out sheets of Sudoku. I've never played Sudoku because I don't get excited by numbers, but I tried it and failed miserably. It made my tired brain felt like it was in mathmagic hell. Eventually we got started again, only to stop again one stop away from home. I feel like a person with no small potential for anger, but watching other people get so stupid mad made me feel inexplicably only more happy and satisfied with life. Got home a little past 2.

No comments: