Pages

Monday, July 25, 2016

journey beginning

as of this morning i have returned from a grand adventure to europe, where i first went on a road trip with a carful of my high school girlfriends, and then on my first ever trip by myself, on a gran return to copenhagen 7 years post-study abroad. i consider no trip complete until i've irresponsibly lost my neck pillow somewhere on the planet, so, farewell pirrow (the one pa bought me for christmas to replace the one i lost) - i'm back in orlando. i'm going to write about my adventure snippets as they come.

in the week prior to my departure, my last grandparent, my ah-gong in ilan, passed away unexpectedly. though he no longer recognized most people he had known, we expected to have a few more years with him because his physical health was good. the funeral was already set for the 19th, which would be my last night in ireland before flying to denmark. i immediately thought to cancel the trip to attend the funeral, but decided with ma and pa to go on with the adventure and then go back to california in a few weeks to be with the family. it was a difficult decision but i think it was the right one.

because of perpetual geographical distance (america, taiwan) and perpetual language barrier (english, japanese/taiwanese), my grandfather and i were never close in the way that i think other people are with their grandparents. my strongest and warmest memories are of when he would take me out to the harbor when i was little to look at the fishing boats, when we would play mah-jong during chinese new year, and our shared love of his orchids, his stamp collection, and of photographs - family photos in particular. in chinese belief, after death, a person's spirit roams the earth for (7?) days, visiting family members and familiar places. i don't know what i feel about that, but i couldn't stop imagining that my grandpa, for the first time, might finally be seeing my life and understanding my personality and i felt good about what he would see.

on my last visit, feb 2015
 drinking beers

No comments: