Pages

Saturday, February 14, 2009

bike woes pt 456

Today I woke up at an ungodly hour to go to the police bike auction.
ungodly = 7:45 am

The auction began at 9 am. Conveniently, the S-train began running at 9 am as well.

We arrived around 9:20 am. Apparently people were at the auction at 8:30 am to inspect the bikes going up for auction. Now, how do you get there at 8:30 am when the train isn't running and you clearly don't have a bike? I don't really know.

The auction was packed so tight that you couldn't see at all over the heads. We snuck up closer the front, where the auction was going on. In lightning-speed Danish. Good practice for my Danish numbers, bad for my ego.

The going rate was a low of 450 kroner and highs of 800-900 kroner. Being a foreigner from car-city, I have never practiced my instant visual bike evaluation skills, so it was pretty damn hard to judge the condition of the bikes from the few seconds that I had to view them.

I made a few bids but was always outbid (I'm cheap.) In the end, I made the executive decision to not buy a bike. I feared nabbing a shitty bike which needed, god forbid, repairs, at 450-600 kroner plus 23% tax plus 20 kroner to cut off the lock.

Repairing my injured bike (I'm thinking about naming him Alex - but don't hold me to that) will cost 450 kroner (yes, what I paid for him to begin with. eff) and he'll be functional (hopefully.)

I think the two of us are in it for the long haul.

No comments: