Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

breakfast

waking up on those mornings in the drunk tank,
busted lower lip, loose teeth, brains swimming in
a cacophony not yours, with
all those strange others swathed in rags, noisy
now in their mad sleep, with nothing for
company but a stopped-up toilet,
a cold hard floor
and somebody else's law

and there was always one early voice, a loud voice:
"BREAKFAST!"

you usually didn't want it
but if you did
before you could gather your thoughts
and scramble to your feet
the cell door was slammed
shut.

now each morning it's like a slow contented
dream, I find my slippers, put them on,
do the bathroom bit, then walk down the
stairway in a swirl of furry bodies, I am
the feeder, the god, I clean the cat bowls, open
the cans and talk to them and they get excited and
make their anxious sounds.
I put the bowls down as each cat moves to
its own bowl, then I refill the water dish
and watch all five of them eating
peacefully.

No comments: