Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

modern poetry flows from lana del rey's lips

If it's rush hour, why does everybody drive so slow? As if we're headed somewhere ritually overwhelming and underwhelming. In the morning, I feel like a slug that can drive a car. I make few discoveries throughout the course of the day, but during one commute when I was particularly sharp I made the stunning realization that the last lyric in this stanza of Lana del Rey's "This Is What Makes Us Girls":

Yo we used to go break in / To the hotel pool, glimmering we’d swim / Runnin' from the cops in our black bikini tops /

was actually

Screaming, "Get us while we're hot. Get us while we're hot"

and not

Screaming, "God is why we're hot, God is why we're hot."

I always think my version of things is better. Two months ago I turned down fall admission to Parsons, "one of the most prestigious art and design universities in the world," seeing more potential in staying in my brainless current job, which is sort of a wild, rude circus of celebrity, big money, entertainment muckymucks and their starry-eyed Hollywood assistants. However, the winds have shifted and it looks like I may be blowing east. I'm dying of anxiety and terror at the thought of saying goodbye to my most favoritest Los Angeles and the flawless nest I've built here for myself but it's most important for me to start feeling stimulated and becoming a someone.

Dear Valerie,

Welcome to the Tisch School of the Arts!


Thank you

No comments: