Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2012

sublet argonauts

Earlier this month I was thinking a lot about surprising commonplace exchanges between strangers. Is it fitting, then, to revisit this thought again at the end of the month (and end of the year as well)? I spur-of-the-moment arranged to sublet my apartment in Brooklyn to the friend of one of my classmates and his girlfriend. This involved quite literally chucking my apartment keys into a bag and FedEx 2Day'ing them to New Jersey, where they were received by a stranger to be relayed to strangers to be used to open my apartment and sleep in my bed. Meanwhile, I agonized over the jewelry I probably shouldn't have left out. I agonized about having broken the standing lamp and not having replaced the burnt out overhead bulb and having possibly rented out a room of darkness. Or my keys getting lost in the mail. Or any damages being incurred to my roommates' possessions. However, I don't believe any worrying was warranted because my subletters seem (through e-mail and a phone call) to be really decent people. They notified me by text twenty minutes ago that they had arrived safely at the apartment.

They're only staying three nights to enjoy New Year's in New York. The money is actually hardly anything worth having, but I enjoy partaking in the brave new subletting world. On the phone, the boy expressed that he and his girlfriend were going to buy me a bottle of alcohol to leave as a gift, and I was very shocked/delighted and feel overall good and affirmed.

No comments: