Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2013

sicky baby

I bought groceries online through Fresh Direct for the first time a few days ago. It's cheaper and you can buy more than you can carry through the subway and you don't have to carry them through the subway. It's so exciting. I think back to when I was growing up and my brother told me that one day you'd be able to buy anything online and I swore to him that it would never work for groceries. The future is here.

Therefore, I've been cooking. I made my own chicken broth for the first time two nights ago and I can't stop being obsessed about it. I feel like I made stone soup. I made broth out of bones. I made something out of nothing. I was going to make strawberry cake from scratch today, but -

I have the fucking flu. I woke up and I randomly had the flu. I didn't have the flu last night, but I woke up and I was sick. I was JUST sick with a cold, and I haven't kissed anyone, so I feel like I do not deserve this. I'm feverish, my eyeballs are hot, I've had full-body chills and aches all day. I slept most of the afternoon and evening (which is really cramping my work style) and having non-stop fever dreams, one of which being Rothy and I sneaking sips of 1893 whiskey out of my grandfather's liquor cabinet and Rothy saying it tasted like my backwash. Being sick all of growing up means that you at least get to be coddled. Being sick as an adult, alone in my dungeon, is sad because nobody actually cares that you're suffering. I feel terrible and whenever I wish I were being taken care of I miss the Bagel.

Lastly, I had a meeting at Swallow this morning at 10 am with Rothy. We were working and I looked up and saw Steph's identical twin sister. I've always known that she lives in New York, and I joked about running into her, but I didn't really think it would happen, especially right around the corner from my house. She was leaving and I yelled out her name and she turned and I yelled, "I KNOW YOUR SISTER!" She had come in for the sole reason of using the ATM and was leaving to meet a friend for lunch in the area. She was really nice (I was a little scared because Steph describes her as a firecracker) and looked a lot like Steph but I can still tell them apart. And their voices are very different - Steph's sister's is deeper. Ach, coincidence, so magic.

2 comments:

Mia said...

I recently read about Fresh Direct here: http://www.ourfreakingbudget.com/real-costs-of-city-living-nyc/. Had never heard of it before.

(They also give locations of some yummy-sounding cheap food carts: http://www.ourfreakingbudget.com/thrifty-travel-new-york-city/)

Hope you are feeling better!

everyman said...

That's a sweet little blog! I am no longer sick, thank goodness.