Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

this hacker is a hack

On top of trying to try new things every week, another way I keep my life tumultuous is I will every so often put myself in a situation that makes me extremely uncomfortable. This is why I participated in a hackathon this past weekend, where we sat from 10am to 8pm for two days trying to make a something in the cafe at work. People from Intel gave us each one of their new gestural cameras and told us to do something cool with them. I certainly would not have survived without the saving grace of my partner, Youjin, who was very knowledgeable, patient, and willing to drag me along for the ride. We worked together on integrating a map she'd been making at work that marks on a map every time someone says tweets the word "love" on Twitter with some of the hand-tracking capabilities of the gestural camera. In the end, you could wave your hands around in the air to navigate the map and it felt like magic or Minority Report. We were well fed and generously watered (XX is a client) and all the technical difficulties and coding frustration felt very worthwhile in the end. And we got to keep the cameras.

No comments: