Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

summer flies

For those who asked for asked for summer, it's here. It's hot and it's humid and I like it as long as my air conditioner stays faithful. I can't put a glass of wine down in my room without turning around to find six fruit flies got a swimming pool full of liquor and they dive in it. In the kitchen the big black flies reign supreme and zip around in swarms and perch and rub their hairy little legs on our dishes. I was toweling off in the shower the other day and saw a tiny tiny leech? inching along the shower floor. I was mortified. I washed it down the drain because I didn't know what to do. I googled "tiny leech in my shower" and it turns out that there are flies that grow their young, which look like tiny leeches, in your drains. I continue to feel mortified.

The summer sun stays up late and makes broad daylight past 8 o'clock post meridiem. It's also particularly white bright and blinding. I hear summer in New York explodes with fun things to do, but I guess I haven't heard as much about them because I've been working full time. Last week, though, I did attend a lecture by one of the partners of BIG (Bjarke Ingels Group), an impressive architecture firm based out of New York, Copenhagen, and Beijing and the company that designed and built the Danish Pavilion (of which I have fantastic memories) at the Shanghai World Expo three years ago. They're also apparently building a fancy beach resort near my mom's hometown in Taiwan. He talked about the reappropriation of industrial structures for public use and enjoyment and showed a maritime museum, park, and a waste management plant with a ski run on top as examples that were built in Denmark. Yeah, I liked that.

No comments: