Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2013

big brass band

I was at school for fourteen hours on Friday. Everyone was getting all cranky at everybody else. I bought two bags of groceries and trudged home at midnight. The L train has been running on limited service, meaning that on weekends or after 11:45 pm on weekdays you have to get off the train two stops into Brooklyn and continue on a shuttle bus. Naturally, not as many people can fit on the bus as just got off the train. However, because of party night traffic impeding the shuttle buses, when I got off at the Lorimer stop there were no fewer than 200 people crowded around the shuttle stop and quickly becoming an angry mob. I would've been angry too if I weren't already so impossibly tired. I wasn't able to get on either of the first two shuttle buses but finally found my way onto the third and nodded in and out of sleepytime consciousness. During a moment of wakefulness I realized that Craggs and her boyfriend Frank were on the same shuttle bus as I was. When I hollered at them they decided to get off at my stop instead of theirs and we all jumped off the bus at the Jefferson stop. We could see that there was a huge party going on with a brass band playing on the second floor of a loft. In a spontaneous moment of spontaneity, we followed the sound and ended up in a sweaty vivacious party full of young people dancing to a 15-piece brass band, many of the musicians women, which I really enjoyed. It was so loud and so fun that I regretted being the square with a backpack and two plastic bags of groceries. I wanted to stay forever because it all felt very fated and symbolic that there is a hidden big loud light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments: