Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

school week

The week goes quickly.

The way I see it, it starts on Friday, when I begin to source materials for my next puppet. Shopping takes up a surprising amount of my work time. Friday, Saturday I'm mostly working on the puppet and the performance with a little bit of other work and chores wedged in the in-between moments.

Sunday the day is organized around going to ballet for an hour, which is the one hour when time stops. I do my pliés and think only about the alignment of my body.

Monday I start my website coding for Dynamic Web, perform with my puppet, and finish the website Tuesday, moments before class starts.

Wednesday I stage some crazy public art intervention, edit the documentation, read a heap of academic readings about the environment, write a response all to turn in the next day for Renatured, and start building some mechanical moving thing for Automata, also due the next day. That night I get drunk for happy hour and then go to choir, and time stops again. I sit next to Jessica, a dancer who is my choir friend. We're learning to sing some very beautiful songs, including Beethoven's Hallelujah Chorus. I'm amazed by how conductors are parcel out two hours a week between so many different songs and correct the notes, pronunciation, and phrasing for every voice part. Our conductor is a wonderful, expressive Wagnerian-type who isn't nearly as dictatorial as conductors I had in undergrad but produces great music by knowing how to appropriately woo an unruly crowd. After choir my brain is in music mode and it's nearly impossible for me to think about work anymore.

Thursday, finish moving machine, go to class, go to class, go out to a bar with schoolmates and stay out late until it's the new week.


No comments: