Pages

Monday, December 2, 2013

skyfall

When I booked a red-eye from LAX to JFK, I figured that I'd sleep on the plane and arrive bright and early for a full day's work. It somehow slipped my mind that most of that sleep time would be lost to the time change at that arriving at 5:30am would be the equivalent of getting rudely kicked out of bed at 2:30am.  On the way to LA my seat had felt like the most comfortable cradle in the world, but on the flight back I felt like I was trying to sleep in the cardboard airplane seat Rothy and I made for our puppet show skit.

so uncomfortable

I at least achieved 2 hours of sleep on the plane, unlike Rothy, who stayed up the entire time watching Black Swan. I didn't watch any movies on the plane though this past week in LA I did have many indelible movie moments: Hunger Games I and Skyfall. Both were so riveting that my heart was racing all the way to the end. Hunger Games was visually striking, silly dramatically dystopian, and delightfully tacky. Ma and I tried to go to see Hunger Games II at the theater but it was actually SOLD OUT. I was shocked and disappointed. In Skyfall, there was a pivotal moment when lines from Tennyson's "Ulysses" were recited, and I had flashbacks to the choral arrangement of that poem which I sang at USC with Mrs. Tuckersman ("Untravelled Worlds") and could pre-hear each next line and my heart almost stopped.  
 
We arrived stupid early at the airport and proceeded to drive in circles with a cab driver who wouldn't listen to our directions. $$$. Promptly went back to bed at earliest possibility, slept until midday brunching at Owl Juice. Very productive! I don't recommend taking anymore red-eyes to myself. Unfortunately, I already have another booked for January.

This late afternoon I realized I had a sore throat. I had shoyu ramen and draft Sapporo for dinner and it felt much better afterwards. Now I have a swollen lymph node. It feels like a cherry in my neck. I think I will just refuse to become sick.

No comments: