Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

after all

A treatise On how coincidences on coincidences build on coincidences

I was supposed to go to Typhoon Lagoon, one of the water parks, today, but I was feeling kind of sick again and spent most of the day drinking a frappuccino in the sun at Starbucks and then sitting on the floor of my living room watching Millionaire Matchmaker and Kendra on Top. My roommate, Sinay, was at Clearwater Beach most of the day and while today Mrs. Tuckersman was telling me about how it is fall turning winter over in New York, here in Florida my roommate came home sunburned and looking like a cooked lobster.

In the evening we spontaneously decided that we really needed dessert and, more specifically, chocolate. We decided to go to Epcot in search of chocolate and we wandered the World Showcase (Jefferson Starship was playing again, 'We Built This City') until we settled on Italy and Sinay would have a gelato cookie sandwich and I would have tiramisu. Our decisions had been made and we were getting in line when I decided that I wanted to find a bathroom, but the closest was over at the American Pavilion. Once we were there, Italy felt much too far away and carrot cake at the American Pavilion became an acceptable option. We got in line and at the register the cashier girl looked at my roommate said, 'You go to Miami!' and apparently Sinay had been an RA in her college housing back in Ohio. We took our carrot cakes to some nearby picnic tables and I looked at a table of people sitting and realized that one of them was Patrick, my parade trainer in Tomorrowland in 2006. I had literally found out via our dominant social network yesterday that he is now living in Orlando and here I'd spotted him sitting at a picnic table in the dark, over 2,500 miles away from where I'd last seen him. I was explaining to his friends that 8 years ago Patrick had taught an 18-year-old me how to work on the parade route at Disneyland when I realized that one of his friends was an Imagineer I'd had lunch with a few weeks prior, whom I'd sat next to and had pizza with as part of a work function, with whom midway through our conversation we had realized that I actually know his younger brother because we both worked in Shanghai at the Expo in 2010 together. I hate to say it but it is a small world _____ ___.   

No comments: