Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2015

the former harley hotel

i signed a new lease last week and vana and i are moving to downtown orlando in two weeks. it's gonna wreak havoc on my commute but it's going to be almost like living in a city again. and i'm going to be living in the former harley hotel, an infamous party hub from the 60s, now a run-down converted apartment complex that smells weird. mostly i'm excited that the building probably has ghosts and that i'm going to have my own bathroom.

then:
"I just loved the whole vibe; it was so old and so creaky and so weird."

"I think I had one of my best dates ever on one of the balconies of one of the rooms."

"But what I always wanted to say about the Harley was that the Harley was the Orlando rock hotel. L.A. has the Hyatt Regency, Atlanta has the Highland Inn, and Orlando had the Harley. I don't know where we're gonna go."

"I was in the pool at 5 in the morning one time, but I don't remember much about that. I was clothed, and I think that's the point."

"We played music really loud and drank beer and nobody said anything to us. We smoked pot, and, um, I think the place is haunted. Crazy noises were coming out of every wall! Every orifice! When I left there, I felt like I had been touched by spirits."

"I was like, "You're staying at the Harley?" And they were like, "Yeah!" Just their reaction was like, "Of course! Where else would we stay in Orlando?""

" We did our band photos in the elevator at the Harley. Five guys in the elevator, wearing polyester, as was in fashion at the time, sweating through make-up, which is not something I'm used to or comfortable with."

"I just remember having great times, with parties and with people. It was a great common ground for downtown. People who didn't want to drive and drink could just get a room there at a fair price, and you never knew who you were gonna see there."

now: 
hmmph.

this will be my eleventh move in recent herstory.
revised list:
08/2010 Pudong / Shanghai
11/2010 Normandie Ave / Los Angeles
09/2011 Bach Way / Cerritos
02/2012 South Point View / Los Angeles
04/2012 West View Street / Los Angeles
09/2012 Butler Street / Brooklyn
10/2012 Thames Street / Brooklyn
09/2013 Willoughby Avenue / Brooklyn
08/2014 Cropping Street / Winter Garden
12/2014 Overstreet Road / Windermere
10/2015 East Washington St / Orlando

No comments: