Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

keepies pt 2

This week I spent a wonderful Tuesday out in Los Angeles.

Candy and I had sushi, gelato, and coffee in Silver Lake, in that order.

 Afterwards, I went to visit Katya in her new loft in downtown. It's so so gorgeous and enormous - I'm in love with it, totally happy for her, and totally fucking jealous at the same time. It's loft-y without having any of the decrepitude of the lofts that I surveyed in New York. The kitchen is really nice and new and the floors are beautiful. Ugh. 

 I needed a girls' night so we went out for a romantic dinner in a completely empty pizza place in Little Tokyo and then had some ridiculous drinks at Villains in downtown, on the shore of the LA River. Katya had some sort of whiskey drink that was blocked by an enormous iceball topped with jam. I had a Moscow Mule that was so spicy it made my nose sting. 

Today I felt so terrible from emotional distress that I stress ate all afternoon. For lunch I had Korean japchae and Taiwanese sesame chicken soup. After lunch I sat outside and had barbecued ribs, a cheddar biscuit, and broccoli and cauliflower with red wine as I read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (it's finally picking up). Then I went inside and had a slice of deep-dish pizza. Then I felt mildly ill. 

I wasn't sure I was going to survive my dinner date with a friend after all that. We were supposed to get burgers in Long Beach. We met seven (!) years ago when we were both eighteen-year-olds working at Buzz in Disneyland. We have the exact same birthday, so we traditionally reach out to each other around this time of year. He's one of those old friends you don't talk to extremely often, and you always question whether there is anything left to say. However, it ended up being a really fun night where we talked non-stop for hours. In recent years he's lost a lot of his old restlessness/discontentment and has somehow become really zen, lost interest in most material things, and seems to now embody religious detachment. The evening was refreshing for Material Girl (me), and I drove home rethinking my interests (tv) and my distractions (building my internet social capital). Closing thoughts: I feel thankful for and affirmed by my friends, and look forward to keeping them in my life over the years and seeing how they grow and change for the better. 

I'm leaving in a little less than four days and I think I'll feel ready. Thank you LA for this last present:

No comments: