Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2014

driving flying driving relocation

Yesterday I packed up all my things yet again and moved to Windermere, where I'll be living in a bachelor pad with two dudes come January. I moved to Florida with one suitcase and one carry-on and somehow my possessions were fruitful and multiplied into a carload of crap.

As a person who is fairly resistant to change, it feels strange and somewhat mournful to think about how I've moved ten times since graduating from undergrad in 2010:
08/2010 Pudong / Shanghai
11/2010 Normandie Ave / Los Angeles
09/2011 Bach Way / Cerritos
02/2012 South Point View / Los Angeles
04/2012 West View Street / Los Angeles
09/2012 Butler Street / Brooklyn
10/2012 Thames Street / Brooklyn
09/2013 Willoughby Avenue / Brooklyn
08/2014 Cropping Street / Winter Garden
12/2014 Overstreet Road / Windermere

In the afternoon I looked at the Christmas trees and gingerbread houses on display in different hotels around the resort and then hopped on a flight to New York for the holidays. Upon landing, New York was almost instantly more interesting than Florida. My taxi driver from JFK told me about how he came from Dubai when he was young for school, but ended up dropping out and drove taxis. He told his father that he was in America getting his PhD and used a combination of the money he'd made along with the money his father was giving him for tuition and bought two taxi medallions. After years of working he ended up going home to Dubai where his 53-person family lives in one house. Now he's back in New York for just two months, spent $5,000 to rent an apartment in Flushing, so he can sell the two taxi medallions for a huge profit and then go back to Dubai. He said also that he speaks 5 languages, has been to 49 countries, and has a house in San Diego. He dropped me off at my apartment at midnight and I abandoned my suitcase and walked two blocks to Rothy's 27th birthday party at Tandem. Now I'm on my couch, nursing my waning hangover.

No comments: