Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

film festival queen

last night after work i dragged myself to a film festival in the lower east side, where rothy's and my stop motion was playing as part of the animation night. rothy suddenly couldn't go and i didn't want to go alone but forced myself in the name of adventure. i arrived at the theater too early. so i walked through an ugly little park. then i wandered into whole foods; it was beautiful. i bought two toothbrushes, thai curry, and a packet of taco seasoning. i wandered back. before the screening started we were all gifted with a cup of wine and katy perry's popchips. i was instantly drunk. the animations began and they were pretty good. ours went up. the colors looked worse than i'd remembered, but people liked the short and they laughed. a lot. i won't attribute this to the wine. after ours, the animations were extremely good. my favorite was a hand-drawn-over-live-action black-and-white animation of a polish? girl who works in a bar in england?. all the patrons morph into animals matching their respective breeds of belligerence. after the last screening and i was still drunk off of one cup of white wine when i was shocked when they called out the filmmakers in the audience and they called my name (only two of us were present) and we had to stand up. i didn't know what to do so i waved and sat back down. people were instructed to go find us in the lobby and talk to us? filmmakers? i stood in the lobby and drank copious wines and people came and found me and talked to me and were very generous with their questions and compliments. i refrained my mouth from telling them that according to my measurements, we had practically tied for worst animation of the night but had edged out the competition by a nose hair.

afterwards i was actually drunk and not really understanding how to get back to the subway, since i still don't have a phone or a sense of direction. i wandered the street in the general direction of my suspicion. lo and behold, i bumped into jason from my unity class standing in the street outside of a bar, like my drunken smoking gay guardian angel. i explained to him that i was trying to find union square and he said i was going in the right direction! i went home.

No comments: