Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

hamster train

New York is all wet. It's almost midnight and 80 degrees and 53% humidity and I'm lying in bed wearing a head of sweaty hair. I think the days of showering every other day are over, which means more wetness. I'm enjoying the heat and the humidity much more than I thought I would. It feels primal and reminds me very much of fun times living in Shanghai, though the heat and humidity are nowhere as rabid as Shanghai's yet.

Last night on our way to a birthday party in Williamsburg, Aijia and I sat across from a girl on the L with a hamster cage in her lap. She had two hamsters and their new litter of 12 babies. Mama and Papa Hamster were really cute and I asked the girl if she had intended for her hamsters to have babies and she said no. She said, "I have 14 hamsters!" Seeing all the babies reminded me of a million memories of when I was also in elementary school and my hamster Sally secretly escaped and snuck into Calvin and Hobbes' cage and got knocked up. I didn't even know she was pregnant until I saw many tiny squirmy feet in the nest she had made in her spinny wheel. Ma made me take the little furry babies to Petco in a little plastic container and ask an employee if they would take all these baby hamsters. He said they couldn't do that so we turned our garage into a hamster farm instead.

At the bar, we were sitting in the back drinking beer and there was a single firefly flitting around and flashing green. So whimsical and distracting - I need more!

No comments: