Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

cold mountain

I've been intensely reading Cold Mountain, "a masterpiece that is at once an enthralling adventure, a stirring love story, and a luminous evocation of a vanished America in all its savagery, solitude, and splendor" and the source which spawned one of my favorite movies, Cold Mountain. Every time I put it down I keep looking at the book from wherever I am in the room and itching to open it again. Today I started at a new yoga studio, my fourth in the neighborhood since Jai, Loom, and Good Yoga. The instructor was the tannest white girl I have ever seen and at the beginning of class she told us a story about Ganesh and his competition with his brother to win a mango and I think the moral of the story was something about the subjectivity of what encompasses your 'world.' At the end of class when our eyes were closed she asked us to visualize our own worlds and what is your world and there was nothing I could do to not see the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Civil War. 

No comments: