Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

brooklyn in the summer

Every time I come back to LA it's the same question - do I still know how to drive? Muscle memory does not disappoint yet because I'm slightly groggy in the Starbucks on Melrose Ave. Last night, Rothy, Yotam, and I flew out of JFK and were bored for five hours as we traveled a great distance with little effort. The highlight of the journey was three, solidly funny episodes of Portlandia to foreshadow and foresatire my trip to Portland next week with my parents. The day leading up to the night flight was awful, as always. Every time I pack is a sepulchral affair. Categorizing my objects according to their necessity somehow pokes at my sense of mortality and makes me feel like I'm at my own funeral. Meanwhile my petulant side refuses to believe that any other place could be as great/awesome/wonderful as my current place and I want to have a tantrum.

Granted, the time leading up to the departure was particularly vibrant and New Yorky in the best ways. Youjin, Fangyu, Kang, and I had fancy BBQ and then ate ice cream from Duane Reade on the waterfront at night in front of the Manhattan skyline. Mrs. Tuckersman and I went to the Ai Weiwei exhibit and then sat in the park and then ate burgers. Cerrito, Kelsa, Caroline, Jill, and I went to jazz club in the West Village that's been standing since the 1930s and listened to dixieland jazz performing by old men who'd been playing that timeslot for the past 30 years. I had ramen with my Texan cousin and her Tennessean boyfriend in the East Village and then went to a Bushwick loft rooftop 40th birthday bash that was broken up by the cops. Cerrito and I went to a Belgian beer bar that looks like a monastery and forces all patrons to speak at a whisper, and then we went to another Belgian beer bar, and then we went to a dive bar and played skeeball and almost the entire Lana del Rey Born to Die album on the jukebox. Aijia, Oscar, subletter Lenka, and Jed's bff Nate and I had vegan Ethiopean food in the neighborhood and it was delicious. I didn't expect that. Buca, Mrs. Tuckersman, and I went to a very fancy Williamsburg rooftop bar and then Yotam had a birthday at another Williamsburg bar where we ended up having the most amazing conversation with a group of young, secretly liberal Hasidic men who said that their lives had been changed by the internet, and then went home and basked in the ethereal light of laser stars as they danced across faces.  

3 comments:

Andrew said...

i like the ending to this one. very succinct.

Andrew said...

also, you had ramen without me, so we're even now

everyman said...

lol not done yet