Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Broken Spanish

In Magic Kingdom today I had a long conversation with a small butch woman from Spain. We had been sitting on the train next to each other and when we both got off at Main Street station she asked me a question in Spanish and I attempted to respond and she told me about how she had just come from a trip to Miami and was going to be at Disney World for two days. She showed me her map of the park and asked for recommendations. I haven't spoken Spanish since 2010. At some point I realized I was definitely accidentally mixing in some Russian. I circled the good rides and attempted to describe them to her. Haunted Mansion... "Una casa con los muertos." Small World... "Agua...todos los paises...munecas." Journey of the Little Mermaid ... "la mujer...pez." Buzz Light year... "Autos... Puede jugar bang bang." She asked for food recommendations and I just circled something random because none of the food in Magic Kingdom is good. She told me about her restaurant in southern Spain near Portugal. In retrospect, I wonder if she was really telling me about her restaurant or if I came away with a completely different story because i didn't understand her both because of my incompetency and her regional Spanish accent. She asked about beer and I told her there's no beer in Magic Kingdom and she asked if it's because all the parents would get drunk and lose their children.

No comments: