Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

american thanksgiving

night at my cousins', eating delicious foods, drinking wine, playing with the gimping old pomeranian, snowy. the family made fun of me for what they perceived as my new "mainland accent." all the asian women were loud and drunky; my cousins and i looked at each other, shook our heads. the younger relatives were all in front of the tv, glued to their laptops and cell phones. the tablecloth was soaked in red wine. i asked my pa who knocked over a glass and he said - your mother. watched videos from the very early 90s of my cousins' mental math competitions (hilarious and freakishly impressive) and a video of my third birthday. i was much cuter then. drove my family home (i drank wine like a winefish and didn't feel a thing) and the entire way ma kept blurting out - i'm drunk! i'm drunk.

this year i'm genuinely thankful that the fake bottle of johnny walker red label that i consumed in china didn't make me blind. because in retrospect, it probably should have.

No comments: