Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2010

forever forgetting things

i didn't think i could like thai people more until i left my cell phone in the room of our guesthouse. of course i didn't realize this until we had checked out, taken an openair taxi to the airport, and checked-in. we were walking to the gate when i realized mid-step that my cell phone was in the bed in which i had woken up and had now left for good. i chucked loose change into a pay phone and cursed as it spit them back out at me again. when the lady at the awana house found my delinquent phone, i frantically told her that i was leaving the airport to come get it, and she gentle giggled on the other end.
i told my taxi driver that i had left my phone in my guesthouse and that my flight was boarding in less than an hour, and he said, okay let's run! and he broke into a jog and promised to keep the taxi waiting outside the guesthouse to bring me back again. along the way he played the type of music i would imagine my parents listening to - like ABBA, but not - and told me about the upcoming thai festival where flowers are put on boats made of banana leaves and rafted down the river. this is celebrated throughout thailand, but it is best in chiang mai, he said.

No comments: